September is the period for figs. The fruits are rich and juicy and very suitable for making jam. This hot jam is perfect with cheeses such as Gorgonzola, Pecorino Romano or Goat cheese.
Figs 700 grams (Green or Blue)
Sugar 125 grams
Lemon juice from one lemon (or Apple cider vinegar)
- Wash the figs, cut the ends off and peel them, if the skin is rough. Cut them into small pieces and place in a saucepan.
- Add the sugar and stir well.
- Cook the fruit for 5 minutes, add lemon and chilli powder. You can always add more chilli powder later.
- Cook for another 20 minutes, then mix everything with a hand blender until smooth. To check if the jam is perfect, dip a spoon into the saucepan and drop a few drops of jam on a saucer. If it is thick, the jam is ready.
- Fill the jam in clean sterilized jars, tighten the lid and let them cool completely upside down.